The following are frequently asked questions related to the company experience/behaviors. A download of this article is available at the bottom of the page.
Why these behaviors and not others?
- There are hundreds of behaviors that you and your team do on a daily basis that make you successful. The Company-wide Basic Behaviors needs to be short enough to get things rolling without overwhelming people.
- Focusing on a few key behaviors creates an environment in which other key behaviors are more likely to happen, even if they aren’t specifically on the list.
What do we do if not everyone changes their behaviors?
- Not everyone will right away. The goal is to keep the behaviors and the desired experience present so that over time it will be easier and easier to choose the desired experience than to fight against it.
- To speed up this process, it is best to put your focus on those people who are doing it well, and on those who usually do it well. Reinforcing how these people make a difference and increasing the consistency of people doing the behaviors will put a positive pressure for others to adjust (or they will leave).
- Of course, the role of leaders is also to hold people accountable when they are really out of alignment so they don’t distract from the good work of others.
Are leaders going to do this?
- The first expectation set with leaders is that they are accountable for their behaviors. While some leaders may align to the desired experience more quickly than others, the expectation is that everyone will be focused and working toward living it.